Tuesday, August 9, 2011


Where have I been?
How come I never knew?!!
They had made a remake of the 1978 Ice Castles movie. Only my most favorite. In between dreaming to be a ballerina and a doctor, came the impossible dream of being a champion ice skater. I say impossible because snow is definitely non-existent in the Philippines and I have whole-heartedly accepted that. Ahihihi...
Today was a slow day. The kids had no classes so I pushed everything back for the next few days just to be able to lounge with them the whole day. It was HBO marathon. And before Valentine's Day was Ice Castles, the 2010 remake!!! I never knew they did a remake! Where was I 2010???


Oh can you can still remember Lexie in her humble blue frock (it was her mother's). I followed Lynn-Holly Johnson (as lead character Alexis Winston) to her Candie's sandals days in fashion magazines. Watching her skate and act was just beautiful. Afterall she was a professional ice skater in real life. She nailed the blind acting right down.


(poster of the 2010 remake)

(Rob Mayes as Nick, Taylor Firth as Alexis, coach Beulah Smith, Henry Czerny as father Marcus Winston in the 2010 remake)

I like the 2010 remake. They stayed true to the original version. Although the 1978 really got my soul. Could be because of...


Tom Skeritt's grace (and roughness) in the role as Lexie's protective father.

Or the no nonsense acting of Colleen Dewhurst as the no nonsense coach...


Or Robby Benson's mesmerizing baby blue eyes and thick well groomed eyebrows. Or the believable chemistry between Nick (Benson) and Lexie (Johnson).
Even in today's standard, the movie still holds up to its own.
2010 remake. The routine is of course to the nine's...or should I say to the 2000's?
Although the romantic chemistry between Nick and Lexie is a little muddled here...
In terms of editing of Lexie's finale performance, the 1978 version steals my heart. The way the camera seems like the viewer, how it follows the skater in her figure 8's.

"What's pointless and cruel."
"Dont give me that. Not trying is pointless and cruel."

One thing lost in the 2010 v is the face of Deborah Machland, the world class coach played by Jennifer Warren during the finale scene of Lexie skating. Her teary knowing look, fleeting as it may have been carried a heavy weight in the movie ending.


The finale...



Trivia: Watched this movie with my mom, my boy cousin, 10, and his mom. Imagine what could have been going thru my boy cousin's mind while watching this romatic flick! Ahihihi...


No comments:

Post a Comment