Saturday, June 25, 2011


She had always been a classic beauty by any standards.
Pop diva Ms Kuh Ledesma.
For those who have known me since high school, junior, to be exact, my undying love for the songstress is understandable.
When her album entitled Dito Ba came out, we were officially hooked. My father and I.


By some twisted turn of fate I ended up being chosen to sing in a cultural show during our school Intramurals.
The day before the competition!
The only public singing I have ever done was during Music classes in the confides of our classroom. If that could even be counted as 'public'.
The sophomore guy who was groomed to compete suddenly came down with fever or something, they needed a replacement quick.
And I was 'it'.



I came home dazed and confused. I had to sing, in front of the whole school (which had preschool, elementary, high school and college levels!!!)...the next night.
In Tagalog (our national dialect in the Philippines).
Somehow it was all too easy for my father to say, 'sing what you already know by heart'.
There could only have been one Tagalog song I knew by heart.
"Dito Ba" by Kuh Ledesma.


Luckily my music teacher had the minus one long play album. She brought it to our house that night, listened to me sing once and said, "We're good for tomorrow."
I love you my music teacher.
But I didn't sleep well that night.
Cultural Night. I did sing. Wearing a native dress. I didn't hear myself sing. I did forget one line but apparently the judges missed it. Good for me.
I won that fateful night.
And went home with a big smile to my father who had a bigger smile and embrace.
He knew my talents and have always pushed me to go further.








As you can see we bought her albums. We didn't get tired of listening to her voice.
I watched her concert.
My father and I knew her songs and the lyrics by heart. We spent Sundays listening to her music along with his classical albums. He would proudly volunteer me to sing Dito Ba at every family and office gathering. And I loved that.



Fast forward 29 years later. I was one of the floor directors at an event at Mactan Shanrila Resorts and Spa last night. 29 years later I came face to face with the voice. The second she belted her first song of the night tears welled up in my eyes I had to visibly wipe them dry. It was closure. To everything. If only my father was still alive. If only he had not passed away 82 days ago...
It would have been a very noisy excited long conversation with him this morning.
I know he has the biggest smile in heaven right now.
This one's for you papa:

That's The Ms Kuh Ledesma on my left papa.
Yes she has a magnificent voice. She is very beautiful. Just as we have always pictured her to be.


(L-R: Tata, me, Kuh Ledesma, Irene and Ann)

(I did not bring my camera last night. Call time was 7am, event was 7pm. I met Liezl Vidal for the first time and noticed her taking a lot of photos. From the right stage I saw her taking some photos of Kuh Ledesma at the left stage. I ran the whole stretch, almost jumped at Liezl and shamelessly asked her to take a photo of me with the songstress. Liezl you are most kind. I can never thank you enough. You have no idea how big the happiness I feel. Unmeasurable. For the rest of my life. For the memories of my late papa who passed away April 4, 2011. A big big fan of Ms Kuh Ledesma.
Credits of the photo goes to Monalisa M. Vidal)


(video of another event)


Thank You Boss.
My heart is overflowing with utmost joy.
Tears of content.



No comments:

Post a Comment